Friday, May 27, 2011

Life is good

Lol, I had some strong reactions from my friends when I wrote about my Top 10 contemporary musical acts. For some, apparently due to a few strange nationalistic reasons (he he he). That's just a snapshot of my taste for the moment. One of my earlier favorites was the Irish band U2, the background music of my younger days, but it came to a point I don't wanna hear them anymore. At least, for the moment. My musical taste is evolving- the rock musicians are now balanced by the trance music of the Netherlands & Germany, but when I want to focus on music for its sake, I want a synergy of extraordinary sounds that you won't get from the rest of the pack, & that's where the rock-flamenco-rumba fusions of Spain come in. I am a fan of the rock nacional of Argentina, & I actually have an extensive collection of the various acts, from the earlier years to the present (if suddenly I got the itch, I follow Argentine rock via WIFI thru my Android radio app wherever I am in the world so I'm actually updated). I love many Italian acts, in fact, the artist with the most album in my collection is Francesco de Gregori, more than 30 of them (albums, live, compilations) but though Jovanotti & Zucchero are great, they try to copy American sound too much (dai, non avete sentito mai alla parola "knockoff"?). French is good for slow romantic rock ballads but French rock isn't at par with the rest. Contemporary Spanish is my flavor of the moment though trance music is the background music of the fun parts of my life (muziek voor de lul). I am what Armin van Buuren calls a "chair-raver"- while I attend big raves if I have time, trance music has become the soundtrack of my days lately- waiting in airports, along the road, reading the news, reading a book, having sex, buying fruits, doing surgery, analysing my investment portfolio, making idle talk to friends, toilet time, bedtime, etc. Only the volume varies with each activity. I didn't include Armin in my Top 10 list because he's mostly a DJ- but I should have. Mea culpa. He should have been number 1 in the list!

I just bought a new HTC Flyer tablet. Here's a list of the first batch of music I copied into it, a combination of old (whose appeal lingered for some reason, though some are too old, even dead, or the band has disappeared) & new ones. About 30 GB. All the albums of each act. I mean, ALL.

NETHERLANDS
Armin van Buuren
Tiesto
De Poema's
Dash Berlin
Ferry Cornsten

GERMANY
David Garrett
Markus Schulz
Paul van Dyk
Kraftwerk
ATB
Rammstein

FRANCE
Christophe Mae
Francis Cabrel
Gerard de Palmas
Alan Stivell
Jean Pierre Massiera (The Maledictus Sound)

ITALY
Francesco de Gregori
Jovanotti
Alex Britti
Zucchero
Ligabue


US
Taylor Swift
Switchfoot
Incubus
The Killers
Kings of Leon
Parachute
Secondhand Serenade
Bruno Mars
One Republic
Breaking Benjamin
Chevelle
Nirvana

CANADA
Arcade Fire
Coeur de Pirate
Deadmau5

GREECE
Aphrodite's Child

UK
Led Zeppelin
Coldplay
Suede
Blur
Adele
The Last Shadow Puppets
Mumford & Sons
Arctic Monkeys
Sweet Billy Pilgrim
Paolo Nutini
Lighthouse Family
Paul Oakenfold
Ministry of Sounds Chillout albums
Gareth Emery

IRELAND
The Sticks
The Villagers


SPAIN
Chambao
Ojos de Brujo
Jarabe de Palo
Melendi
Macaco
Fondo Flamenco
El Canto del Loco
Dani Martin
Estopa
Despistaos
Mago de Oz
Pablo Alboran

MEXICO
Mana

CHILE
Gufi

BRAZIL
Arnaldo Antunes
Victor & Leo
Luan Santana

ARGENTINA
Rata Blanca
Gustavo Cerati
Soda Stereo
Divididos
La Renga
Indio Solari
Charly Garcia
Manal
Luis Alberto Spinetta (Almendra/Invisible/Jade/Pescado Rabioso)
Patricio Rey y sus redonditos de ricota
Sui Generis
Seru Giran
Sumo
Enanitos Verdes
Las Pelotas
El Otro Yo
Catupecu Machu
Vincentico
Babasonicos
Los Tipitos

URUGUAY
Que te va gustar

No comments: